Wednesday 21 May 2014

The end is nigh (of my mat leave, that is!)

The last few Wednesdays have come round so quickly. This is my last Wednesday on maternity leave so I expect I won't have as many projects on the go once I'm back to work. I start back on Monday but that's a bank holiday and next week is half term so I should manage to get a bit more hooking in before things get too chaotic once more!

I've mixed feelings about going back, which is to be expected after maternity leave! I'm going to miss my two little people so much. The last few months have been pretty challenging and I've had some really difficult times, but I've loved being there for them, 24/7, so much and seeing how much they've grown and developed has been a real privilege. I'll miss my big two too although they probably won't notice my absence so much with their being at school. I'm on a part time contract so will still be able to pick them up four times a week and drop them off two or three times.

People usually try to console those going back to work with the thought of hot cuppas and toilet breaks in peace. Teaching isn't one of those jobs that lends itself to getting a hot cuppa and to be honest, I usually drink so little I don't need the loo! But there are advantages to going back. Firstly, the money! SMP isn't great so a bit of extra cash will be nice. Secondly, my colleagues. They're all lovely and really supportive. I enjoy working with them. And of course, the children/pupils/learners, whatever the government is referring to them as this week. Those amazing young people who test you to your limits and make the good times great and the hard times worthwhile. I'm looking forward to seeing the ones I have taught before and getting to know new classes.

So, while I get back into the swing of things, crocheting will have to take a back seat. Although I will be sure to keep something on the go as a relaxation activity once all my homework is done!

This week's works in progress:

Slouchy hat: nearly done. Daughter likes it but wants it a bit "slouchier" so I have to frog the last couple of rows and add a few more of the double crochet rows.

Poncho: done! Will show you pics on finished Friday!

Amigurumi Unicorn: One leg done! That took me flipping ages! If anyone has any tips about how to do a magic ring with a 3mm hook they would be greatly appreciated. Once I'm a few rows in it's fine but those first rows are so fiddly.

Right, back to being referee between the baby and the toddler!

No comments:

Post a Comment