Thursday 29 May 2014

My latest projects

I've been a bit busy lately so struggled to fit in writing blog posts. With going back to work next week (well, officially three days ago but it's half term so a week off for me!), posts will probably be less regular. Over the last couple of weeks we have had a hospital stay for Miss S due to her fairly severe asthma and the husband has been in a play for the last week. This hasn't left me with much free time for crafting or blogging! Hopefully I'll catch up with myself this week.

I finished the poncho, which I loved making. It worked up fairly quickly, think it was about 7 hours in total and I enjoyed making the granny stripes. It's a good pattern for watching TV to as doesn't require much concentration. Here is the finished article:


The colour was chosen by the lady who ordered it for her toddler. I think it is a fab choice and the colours look so lovely together. I really love colourful crochet!

With the leftover yarn, I finally got round to making the unicorn. Once I got going I enjoyed it and couldn't wait to complete it. I find working with a small hook (3mm) and having to focus on tiny stitches quite tiring though, so it took me a good 7-8 hours. I'm not so keen on the putting together stage either. I've had a few requests to order the unicorn but I'm not sure I'll make amigurumi to sell. I'm not sure I would enjoy it and there are issues regarding safety certificates when selling toys.

Some pics...the first few rows took me forever. Then I found this youtube video which made doing the inital magic ring a bit easier.


I followed the pattern in the order it was written, so legs first, then body.

I posted this picture on my facebook page and got some funny suggestions as to what I might be making...toes, clangers, and russian dolls!

I expect once the head was made it might have been more obvious...

Here she is, all finished. I think she is so incredibly cute! My daughter nabbed her and my 8 year old son wants a "storm" unicorn. I have no idea what one of those is! Very satisfying when amigurumi is complete but hard work and patience to get to that point!


Can't remember if I shared a photo of the slouchy hat in my last post...


My daughter requested it and loves it. I made it from the lovely Caron simply soft yarn. The only place I have found that stocks it is Wool Warehouse, who I have now ordered from a number of times! Their delivery is pretty quick and their prices very competitive.

Once all those items were finished I was daydreaming about creating a beautiful rainbow blanket for baby S. I have been lusting over an Attic24 pack of yarn for ages so bit the bullet and invested in one. It's good value with the yarn costing slightly less than buying individual skeins. Think it works out that one skein is free.


Isn't it beautiful! I bought a couple of additional skeins, the bright orange and bright yellow which are next to each other aren't part of the Lucy pack.

With my daughter's input, I decided to make a granny stripe blanket with a ROYGBIV rainbow colour scheme and with alternate white stripes.


These were the colours we selected, they look even more gorgeous in real life! I made a foundation chain of 120 in red and set off making the blanket. It took me about two hours to get going and hook 10 rows of granny stripes plus the foundation chain and a starting single crochet row. Each row is taking on average 10 minutes.


Can't wait to crack on with the other colours and see it grow but it will have to take a back seat to my Betty's Bells orders and my proper job!

No comments:

Post a Comment