Tuesday 25 March 2014

From knitter to hooker...

I have been a knitter ever since my lovely Mam taught me when I was about seven. I remember making knitted dolls as gifts when I was a teenager. I even had to make a replacement for my friend's toddler cousin as he was devastated at losing the original!

However, as an adult, I always struggled with completing items. I managed to make ONE mitten for my precious first born. Parenting fail indeed. I didn't do much knitting until a few years later when I was expecting #3. I managed to make a blanket AND a cardigan before he was born!


(We won't discuss the lack of buttons on the cardi...)


I made this hat when he was a few months old and got a good way through the matching jumper. I still have a beautiful fair isle tank top in my knitting bag. By the time I finished it (although the loose ends STILL need to be weaved in, two years later!), it didn't fit over his head! *sob*

So, knitting. I enjoy it, but it takes me so long and for some reason, I only have a 40% completion rate.

Fast forward a couple of years...I was very heavily pregnant, it was the middle of August and I couldn't move much. So I thought I'd give crochet a go. Again. I had tried it a year or so before but struggled. Probably because I only had a 2.5mm hook which is very, very tiny and probably meant for elves or something. I watched a few YouTube videos, bought some more hooks and gave it a go. And it just clicked! I was hooked ;-)

The first item I made was a simple headband, followed by a baby hat, then I started on the novelty hats. The rest, as they say, is history.

My first project
Excuse the creepy doll...
A week later I completed this!
I have a lovely friend who knits for me now!


2 comments:

  1. Great to see you blogging! Good luck and I look forward to more of your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken! You and Amory inspired me :-)

      Delete