Friday 2 May 2014

Finished Friday

Writing my WIP Wednesday post always spurs me on to get something finished by Friday! I have a couple of things from this weeks WIP post to share, plus another that I started and finished in one evening.

The Blanket: Done. 

Finally finished this order. I just had the edging left to do and started doing it by doing a round of single crochet in grey. It made the edges all ripply though, and not uniformly so I ripped that back and just went with the scalloped edging I had done on one of these blankets previously. I have to say it looks lovely.



Corner to corner blankets

I used this pattern which I found via ravelry. The first time I made it, I used a chunky yarn and a 6mm hook as recommended on the yarn label. It looks great but it quite dense and not as drapey as I would like a baby blanket to be. It will be more suited as a cot or pram blanket rather than a swaddle or for tucking round baby in a car seat.

This time, I have used the same chunky yarn, but a 6.5mm hook. I prefer the feel of the blanket, it's not so heavy. So while it's still not a swaddling blanket, it would be suited to cot, pram or car seat. For a swaddling blanket, I reckon I would need to use double knitting weight (light worsted) and a 4 or 4.5mm hook. This would take a long, long time though, as the squares would be smaller and you would need many more to get the blanket to size. I like chunky yarn!

The Sun hat: Done.

This made up in no time at all. A couple of hours for the hat and half an hour for the flower and weaving ends in. It feels lovely and light, and the ripply brim is perfect for a toddler. Click here for a link to the pattern. 

Sun hat mk2: Done!

I only started this yesterday, while sitting in the car waiting for the big kids to get out of school. An hour or two in the evening and it was finished! I just need to wait until the morning to try it on the baby. 

It's a bit of a mish mash of patterns. The main part is from KT and the squid's Newsboy hat pattern. The brim, I made it up! I was hoping there wouldn't be any ripples but it has a gently rippling brim. If it fits my baby, I'll keep this one for him and try again, tweaking the pattern. If it doesn't fit, I'll frog it! (Frogging: ripping back :-( pulling apart...don't want to do this!). 

Both sun hats were hooked using Lily Sugar n Cream. I love this yarn. Beautiful colours and a beautifully defined finish. Wish I could buy it locally. Bet my husband is glad I can't!

Bunny: Not done. Will try and finish that this weekend. 

Happy Friday to you all, hope it's a good one x

No comments:

Post a Comment