Sunday 11 May 2014

Adventures in Amigurumi

Wonderful news! My baby niece arrived today, 13 days overdue and absolutely perfect. It was lovely to have newborn cuddles with her. So, now she has her amigurumi bunny I can show you photos of it during construction and now it is complete.

I used this pattern by Adorable Amugurumi and it was set out in a very organised fashion and was easy to follow. You have to work in the round which I am not used to doing but soon got the hang of it. Stitch markers are essential so you know where your round ends. I used a kirby grip and have since treated myself to some plastic stitch markers. 

It was still missing one ear and one arm at this stage!
The individual components didn't take long to make up. I found the first row was the trickiest but it was plain sailing once those stitches were done. The stuffing needed to be added to a few of the parts before the final rounds were made. 

I added the face before stuffing although the instructions suggest doing it after. I made the pompom by winding wool around a small fork and then tightly tying a strand of yarn around the centre. I used sharp scissors to cut the loops and trim the pompom so it was neat and spherical. It's a very cute pompom don't you think?! 


Stitching together took a good hour or so as I found it tricky to get the parts looking just right. I also was unsure of how to finish off the stitching and where to leave my yarn ends. At this point, using a variegated yarn seemed like a bad idea. I'm sure it would have been easier to hide my seams if they were the same colour as the main parts! 


Finally I was happy with how it had come together and thought it looked lovely. I tied a ribbon round the neck to complete it.






No comments:

Post a Comment