Wednesday 9 April 2014

Crocheted Cardigans

I currently have a couple of cardigans on the go, to see if I have the time to make them for my business.

The hat sales have dwindled as the weather has got warmer which I had anticipated, but I've been a bit stuck on what to make instead! I've enjoyed making a couple of things for my smallest two boys and my daughter has asked me to make her a slouchy hat so I'll be getting on with that soon. I asked for suggestions as to what people might buy, and the ideas included sun hats, blankets and cardis.

So, a few weeks ago I was asked to make some unisex cardigans and found this one on craftsy.

I love the look of it, it's a cardi when the weather is still cool but can be a light jacket on warmer days. I bought the pattern and started making it for my 6 month old. Actually, I think he was only 5 months when I started but it's taken me so long to get it done! It's still not finished but I only have 1 sleeve and the hood to go.

I consider myself a fairly speedy crocheter these days but this one is taking forever. I think it's because it's single crochet (fine) but ONLY in front loops. This means I have to constantly look at what I'm doing, I haven't really got into a rhythm with it and, although it has a look of double crochet, it's taking longer than double crochets take. Also because I know it won't be a quick make, I keep putting it to the bottom of my list. I need to finish it before the baby grows out of it though. It looks nice so I'm happy but I won't be taking orders for it.

Another cardi I have been trying out has been this one, from Moogly.

Mini Moogly Sweater :: free #crochet pattern in sizes 0-3mths and 3-6mths!

It has worked up quickly and looks beautiful. The foundation double crochet was a new stitch for me but the moogly tutorial was brilliant and taught me just what I needed to know. All the other stitches were basic and the body works up in one piece which is fab. I hate stitching! At the minute my creation doesn't have sleeves and although it's very cute, I think I'll need to add sleeves though as it's not exactly warm here! I'll definitely be making this cardigan again. A bonus is that the pattern is free so be sure to have a look at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment